The Black Bear
Originally Bear Lake was called Black Bear Lake by Donald Mackenzie for the incredible number of black bears. Donald was an explorer for the North West Fur Company who discovered the lake in 1819 while scouting for fur-bearing animals, largely beaver, to satisfy urban demand for hats. The name was later changed to Bear Lake after both black bears and grizzly bears were decimated by settlers concerned with protecting sheep and cattle. Our Black Bear Yurt’s décor is about honoring the previous dominate predatory animal of the valley, black bears.